In June 2008, Cheryl Rothwell sent six very large pdf documents to various Clark descendants. This is my attempt to gather them into one place so that we might all study them more easily. Robert D. Clark seems to be the source of most of the information, although some of it may be copied from other material. I am reasonably confident of the accuracy of information given to Robert by his parents and their siblings, but the information on earlier generations may be hearsay or speculative.
I must question, especially, the accuracy of the entries for my g-g-g-grandmother, Phebe (Clark) Carey. Although I don't have any precise information myself on Phebe's birth date, her children seem to have been from born from 1790 to 1805, which would suggest a later date than the 1759 given here for her birth. Perhaps the fact that she remained in Ohio while her siblings migrated to Illinois caused a lack of communication between her and them, leading to incomplete or speculative information.
Most of the documents were quite legible, considering that Robert Clark was in his eighties when he wrote down some of the information. The letter from Phoebe Morris (Robert's first cousin, one generation removed) is also legible, but she runs sentences together until I sometimes feel lost. Perhaps, when time permits, I'll try to insert some punctuation! The left and right edges of all the documents were clipped off during the copying process, but in general this isn't a problem.
When she sent us these documents, Cheryl wrote:
This came to me in a round about way. It appears to me that the source of most Clark info, good and bad, is Robert D. Clark. If we consider he did this more than 80 years ago it isn't so bad. This is pretty repetitious...
Clark Line Richard1 - Samuel2 - Jonathan3 - David4
- David4 - m. Sarah Winans Scudder
- John W.5 - m. Ann Isgrig
- Phebe6 - m. David Brooks
Hannah6 Jno C6 Sarah6 Ann6
Phebe Clark Brooks married2 Samuel Dement
Children by second marriage
Arminta - Asa
- William Isgrig m. Hannah Wolsey
- Daniel Isgrig m. Margaret Cole
- Ann m. John W. Clark
- Phebe Clark m. David Brooks - Samuel Dement
- Asa Dement m. Anna Myric - Laura Gull
Winans Line (Cornelius Melyn b 1602 in Holland m Janetje, Jacob b in Holland, Susanna b in America, others)
Susanna Melyn m John Winans1
Conrad Winans2 m Sarah Palmer
Jonathan3 m Susanna Mills
Sarah4 m David Clark4
Jno Winans Clark5 m Ann Isgrig in Ky.
Phoebe Clark6 m David Brooks
Children - Hannah1, Jno C.2, Sarah3, Cornelia4, Ann5
Phoebe Clark6 m2 Samuel Dement
Children - Asa1, Arminta2
Richard1 Samuel2 Jonathan3 is a guess of Mrs. J. C. Cox of Ohio but needs proof. It is claimed that Sarah Palmer is a descendant of Deacon John Denham, a passenger on the Mayflower. He is known as Goodman in the list of passengers indicative of his character.
Nancy was a nickname for Ann Isgrig.
I haven't got the Dement line of descent. The first husband of Sarah Winans was Jacob Scudder, one son Jonathan. The Isgrigs were from England.
Children of David Clark & Sarah Winans Scudder, all born in N. J.:
- Phebe b. 1759 d. Feb. 1850 m. Geo Cary d 1846 went to Miami Co., O., 7 children
- Sarah b. ? d. ? - m. David Hand never from N. J.
- Susan never married - died age 60
- Benjamin b. 1768 d. Oct. 11 1799
- James b. 1770 d. Feb. 15 1851 m. Jennie Seaburn, 2 boys, 3 girls
- Elizabeth never married
- David b. Aug. 28 1776 d. Jan. 6 1847 m. Rachel Rutter in [?], 2 children
- Winans b. Oct. 26 1788 d. Dec. 3 1843 - 4 boys, 2 girls, moved to Miami Co., O., then to Sangamon, Ill.
- John W. b. Jan 17 1779 d. Mar. 5 1859 m. Ann Isgrig b. Jan. 27 1783 d. Dec. 8 1867, 3 boys, 6 girls, moved to Ky., to O., to Ill. (1837)
- Isaac b. 1780 d. Nov 10 1846 m. Lydia Jeliph - 6 boys 3 girls - 2nd m. Mrs. Sarah Royal Stout b. Mar. 3 1793 d. Aug 4 1846 - 3 boys 3 girls
Children of John Winans Clark and Ann Isgrig:
- Hannah b. Nov. 25 1805 d. Nov. 23 1866 m. Asa French b. Mar. 29 1803 d. Feb. 26 1844 - 4 boys, 3 girls
- Margaret b. Jan. 25 1808 d. Dec. 21 1867 m. Richard Winans Clark b. June 16 1808 d. Aug 29 1854 - 3 boys, 4 girls
- David Ward b. Sept. 30 1809 d. Feb. 3 1892 m. Hannah Stout b. Dec. 27 1810 d. Dec. 15 1897 - 4 boys, 2 girls
- Daniel Isgrig b. Mar. 8 1812 d. July 31 1888 m. Eliza Lowery b. Apr. 7 1815 d. Sep. 15 1858 - 2 boys, 3 girls
- Phoebe b. Apr. 1 1814 d. Mar. 4 1892 m. David Brooks - 1 boy, 4 girls, 2nd. m. Samuel Dement b. ? d. Apr. 7 1855 - 3 boys 1 girl
- Isaac b. Oct. 24 1818 d. Jan. 27 1872 m. Emma Jewel b. June 10 1832 d. Sept. 18 1871 - 5 boys 2 girls
- Sarah Winans b. Nov. 28 1820 d. Feb. 1 1908 m. Norman Norton b. Nov 4 1815 d. Dec. 2 1867 - 4 girls
- Mary b. Sep. 14 1822 d. Mar 8 1877 m. Richard Kenney b. Sept. 14 1820 d. Sept. 19 1843, 2nd m. Marquis Candy b. May 4 1819 d. Jan. 1 1894 - 1 boy, 6 girls
A sketch showing who were the ancestors of Arminta Dement and also some of her relatives
Prepared by her cousin, Robert D. Clark - Nov. 17, 1931
" " " b. Sept. 30, 1844
In an early day there were at least two separate families by the name of Clark living in New Jersey.
One line were the descendants of Richard Clark who came from England and settled in the New Haven colony. He went from there to Southampton Long Island and about 1738, he and his family went to Elizabeth, N. J. We may be the descendants of this Richard.
Mrs. J. C. Cox of Miami Co. Ohio a very enthusiastic searcher of family records once gave this as a guess:
Richard1, Samuel2, Jonathan3, David4
David4 married Mrs. Sarah (Winans4) Scudder. She was of the [?] generation in the Winans line in America.
The children of David and Sarah Clark were:
- Sarah5, married David Hand - they remained in N. J.
- Elizabeth5, she never married
- Benjamin5, b 1768 d 1799, never married
- James5, m Jennie Seaburn - gn father of Charles Clark7 and others
- David5, m 1st Rachel Rutter, m 2nd his cousin Sarah Winans5 in N. J.
- Phoebe, m David Carey, they went to Miami Co., Ohio
- Susan, n.m., died aged 60 years
- John W., b Jan 17, 1779, m Ann Isgrig, gr parents of Arminta Dement
- Isaac, m 1st Lydia Zeliph, m 2nd Mrs. Sarah (Royal) Stout
David Clark4, m Sarah Winans4, daughter of Jonathan3
David Clark5, m Sarah Winans5, daughter of Samuel4
Jacob Melyn, b 1640 in Holland
Susanna Melyn, b 1643 in Holland
m John Winans1, b about 1640 - 10 chn.
m Sarah Palmer - a descendant of a Mayflower passenger - 7 chn.
Jonathan Winans3, b July 15 1710, d Nov 11 1774
m Susanna Mills, b 1707, d before 1774 - 8 chn.
Sarah4 Winans, b Sept 25 1737
m David Clark4, 2nd husband - 9 chn.
John W. Clark5
m Ann Isgrig - 9 chn.
m Samuel Dement - 2nd husband
Arminta Dement - Asa Dement
Isgrig LineWilliam Isgrig, b in England April 13, 1721
m Hannah Wolsey, his 3rd wife - only child was
Daniel Isgrig b. Dec 26, 1756
m Margaret Cole - Their children were
Ann (Isgrig) Clark was sometimes called Nancy but was a nickname
- William Isgrig m Elizabeth Rutter
- David " m Mary Currant
- Michael " m Margaret Currant
- Hannah " m William Pattison
- Margaret " m Peter Stephens
- Ann " m John W. Clark see above for descendants
This is a very brief outline of the maternal ancestors of Arminta (Dement) Morris. [I] have a great many names and dates, including those of all her cousins on her mothers side. [I] know very little about the Dements. If asked to do so I will any questions the best I can.
[?]'s brother Asa is still living and also 7 of her cousins and I am [t]he oldest.
Children of John and Ann (Isgrig) Clark - see no 8 page 1
[Th]ese 50 chn were Mit Dement's and bro Asa and one-half brothers and sisters [an]d all the cousins that were on her mothers side
- Hannah6 b Nov. 25, 1805, m Asa French - 7 children
- Margaret6 b Jan. 25, 1808, m Richard Clark6 - 7 "
- David Ward6 b Sept. 30, 1809, m Hannah Stout (parents of R. D. Clark) - 6 "
- Daniel I.6 b Mch. 8, 1812, m Eliza Lowrey - 5 "
- [Ph?]ebe6 b April 1, 1814, m 1st David Brooks (her cousins son) - 5 "
m 2 Samuel Dement - parents of Arminta and Asa - 2, James
- Nancy6 b Mch. 17, 1816, d young
- Isaac b Oct 24, 1818 - m Emma Jewel - 7 "
- Sarah b Nov 28, 1820 - m Norman Norton - 4 "
- Mary F. b Sept 15, 1822 - m1 Robert Kenney - no children
m2 Marquis Candy - 7 "
[P]heobe Clark m1 David Brooks. Their children were
[Ph]ebe Clark (Brooks) m2 Samuel Dement. Children
- Hannah b Aug 13, 1833
- John C. b Oct 10, 1835
- Sarah b Oct 15, 1839 d Sept 9, 1840
- Cornelia b July 3, 1841
- Ann b Dec 25, 1844 d Sept 23, 1845
[?] Morris and Arminta Dement were married Aug. 19, 1867. D. W. Clark6 had been her [??] He was a J. P. and officiated at the wedding.
- (1) Arminta b Jan 1, 1847, d May 24, 1888, m H. M. Morris, b Mch 18, 1844
- Homer D. b Sept 26, 1868
- Benjamin R. b Aug 14, 1870
- Phebe E. b Feb 6, 1873
- Anna [?]. b Oct 19, 1874 [<-- an illegible note here]
- James H. b Jan 2, 1877
- Charles b July 6, 1879
- Asa H. b Oct 4, 1881
- George M. b April 3, 18873 [?]
- Asa b Feb 15, 1849 - m1 Anna Myrick b April 6, 1848 d Nov 6, 1879 - 1 dau, Daisy
m2 Laura Gull - no children
[Sa]muel Dement was a widower & had 2 chn Albert Bronson & Sarah Ellen
Daniel Isgrig was born in England Apr. 13, 1721. Was married three times.
His third wife was Hannah Wolsey b. Apr. 13th 171[?.] The only child of this pair was Daniel Isgrig b. Dec. 2[?] 1756 married Margaret Cole.
Ann Isgrig b. Jan. 27, 1783 was a daughter of Daniel Isgrig & wife Margaret Cole.
Ann Isgrig married my grandfather John W. Clark.
David Clark & wife Sarah (Winans) Scudder raise[d] their family in or near Rahway N. J. I think quite likely David Clark was a descendant of Richard Clar[k] who came from England in 1638 to New Haven Colony, then to Long Island, and then to Elizabeth N. J. in 1678.
Information furnished by
Robert D. Clark, Mt. Pulaski, Ill.
July 28, 1923
Children of John Winans Clark & Ann Isgrig
- Hannah b. Nov 25, 1805 d. Nov 23, 1866 m. Asa French b. March 29, 1803 d. Feb 26, 1844 4 boys 3 girls
- Margaret b. Jan 25, 1808 d. Dec 21, 1867 m. Richard Winans Clark b. June 16, 1808 d. Aug 29, 1854 3 boys 4 girls
- David Ward b. Sept 30, 1809 d. Oct 3, 1892 m. Hannah Stou[?] b. Dec 27, 1810 d. Dec 15, 1897 4 boys 2 girls
- Daniel Isgrig b. Mar. 8, 1812, d July 31, 1888 m. Eliza Lowery b. Apr. 7, 1815 d. Sept. 15, 1858 2 boys 3 girls
- Phebe b. Apr. 1, 1814 d. Mar. 4, 1892 m1 David Brooks 1 boy 4 girls
m2 Samuel Dement b. ---? d. Apr. 7, 1855 1 boy 1 girl
- Isaac b. Oct. 24, 1818 d. Jan. 27, 1872 m. Emma Jewel b. June 10, 1832 d. Sept. 18, 1871 5 boys 2 girls
- Sarah Winans b. Nov. 28, 1820 d. Feb. 1, 1908 m. Norman Norton b. Nov. 4, 1815 d. Dec. 2, 1867 4 girls
- Mary b. Sept. Sept. [missing text due to fold] b. Sept. 14, 1820 d. Sept 19, 1843 m2 Marquis Candy b. May 4, 1819 d. Jan. 1, 1894 1 boy 6 girls
Children of David Clark & Sarah (Winans) Scudder all b. in N. J.
- Phebe b. 1759 d. Feb. 1850 m. Geo. Cary b. ? d. 1846 Went to Miami Co., Ohio 7 children
- Sarah b. ? d. ? m. David Hand never moved from N. J.
- Susan - Never married Died aged 60
- Benjamin b. 1768 d. Oct. 11, 1799
- James b. 1770 d. Feb. 15, 1851 m. Jennie Seaburn 2 boys 3 girls
- Elizabeth - never married
- David b. Aug. 28, 1776 d. Jan. 6, 1847 m. Rachel Rutter 2 chn in Ky.
m2 Sarah Winans b. Oct. 26, 1788 d. Dec. 3, 1843 4 boys 2 girls
To Miami Co. Ohio To Sangamon Co., Ill.
- John W. b. Jan. 17, 1779 d. March 5, 1859 - Feb. 15, 1805 m. Ann Isgrig (nickname Nancy) b. Jan. 27, 1783 d. Dec. 8, 1867 3 boys 6 girls
To Ky. - to Oh. - to Ill. 1837
- Isaac b. 1780 d. Nov. 10, 1846 m1 Lydia Zeliph 6 boys 3 girls [missing text due to fold] d. Aug. 4, 1846 3 boys 3 girls
Daniel Isgrig was born in England Apr. 13, 172[?] was married three times. His third wife was Hannah Wolsey born Apr. 13th 1716. The only child of this pair was Daniel Isgrig born Dec. 28, 1756 married Margaret Cole. Ann Isgrig born Jan. 27th 1783 was daughter of Daniel Isgrig & Margaret Cole his wife. Ann Isgrig married John W. Clark father of Phoebe Clark our Grandmother who was twice married first to David Brooks they had 1 boy 4 girls then to Samuel Dement & they had our Mother and Uncle Asa Dement then you know the rest. I am at Daisy Dement Gandys now in Pasadena have [been?] here since Thursday my family will come after me this P. M. this is Sunday morn Aug. 12 and Daisy had this much of our family tree & I thot it might interest you so I have copied this for you, she got this from Robert Clark a cousin of our Mother & who now lives in Mt. Pulaski, Ill. Pa knows him he is a son of our Mothers Uncle Ward Cla[rk.] I think you can drop Robert D. Clark a card a[t] Mt. Pulaski & get his address then go see him & get lots of information concerning our family tree. We are descendants of the Winans & supposed to be descendants of the Winans who came over in the May Flower. Cousin Robert Clark writes David Clark who was our Grandma's grandfather married Sarah Winans Scudder raised their family in or near Rahway N. J. & says he thinks David Clark was a descendant of Richard Clark who came from England in 1638 to New Haven Colony then to Long Island & then to Elizabeth N. J. in 1698 (isnt this getting interesting) says he has the names of Richards children & some of the grand children but lacks two or three links of connecting David up with this family, but he is still working along this line & hopes to get all that can [?] with in this year, & then he will get it in [?] book form isnt this interesting. I knew of n[o] one who would be more interested than you so I told Daisy I would copy & send to you so inclosed find family tree incomplete now if you will drive down & see cousin Robert I am sure he can interest you. [resumes with different pen or pencil] Dear Murray I started this when I was at Daisy's, but now I am home I will finish & get it off. I had a very nice visit there, Daisy sure is a darling, how are you all we are just fine & dandy, how is Pa tak[e] him down to see Robert Clark who is a man about Pa' age maybe a few years younger. I think Pa would enjoy a visit with him. I have written Pa this morning also Reddick & Paul and as the morning is far spent I guess I will have to cut yours short as I have sent you a lot to think about, your last you wrote me I think is the nicest letter I ever rec'd & I expect to keep it as long as I live as one of a treasured keepsakes. We still all love Calif. very much & I expect will always remain here, altho I hope to visit you all some day, but whe[n] I come I want to be able to stay a while, th[is] sure is a wonderful place to live and we cant ever think of moving back, how is your family, & all the rest & families? do you go see Pa often I hope you do & go for me, how [?] he & Lizzie? I havent heard from any Ill. folks for quite a while. Good By take take good care of your self & family & write me & le[t] me know about your visit to Robert Clarks my love to all. Your sister in far away Calif. Phoebe S
Cheryl commented on the picture and its caption:
Look at the picture of the adult children. Then look at this picture: http://logan.ilgenweb.net/mpmeeting.htm.
Note David Ward Clark and his distinctive cane on the front row. Do you think that picture is 30 years older than the one purporting to be the adult children? The online picture is probably 1890 or 1891. It is not 1892 because David Ward Clark was dead. Could that picture of the "adult children" really be some children and their spouses? I don't see how it could be the children because Margaret died in 1867, Hannah in 1866, Isaac in 1872. Did David Ward Clark never age?
Children of John and Ann (Isgrig) Clark
Hannah -- Isaac -- Margaret
Sarah -- David -- Daniel -- Mary
- Hannah b. 1805 m. A. French
- Margaret b. 1808 m. Richard Clark
- David W. b. 1809 m. Hannah Stout
- Daniel b. 1812 m. Eliz. Lowry
- Nancy d. young b. 1816 [?]
- Phoebe b. 1814 m. David Brooks, m. Samuel Dement
- Isaac b. 1818
- Sarah b. 1820 m. Norman Norton
- Mary F. b. 1822 m. Robert Kenney, Marquis Candy
I'm not indexing these documents, for now, since all the information they contain is available elsewhere in these pages. As always, your comments on any aspects of this information are most welcome. Several cousins have already given us the benefit of their opinions, which I will add to these pages as soon as possible.