The Bill Walker Project
29 November 2015. This evening, we lost a dear uncle who had been with us for a whole century: Bill WALKER.
I hope that those family members who remember Bill will send us information about his life which we can add to these Carey Family Album pages. On this page, I'll keep track of what we're doing, listing the most recent changes first. Please visit it regularly to see what's new, and to help us create a fitting tribute to this incredible man. Chuck Carey.
- 1 Apr.This is not an April Fool's Day joke — There is some debate as to when Bill's death actually occurred. The certified copy of his death certificate which I received today says 30 November, even though his obituary says 29 November.
- 22 Jan. The Shell Beach gathering seems to be shaping up for the weekend of July 16-17, based on the input from many cousins. We thank Tom and Debi for being willing to take this on, and hope there will be a good turnout!
- 12 Jan. Some responses to my question about memorial service and ashes — it appears Bill had expressed a desire to go to Shell Beach. Tom and Debi Michelsen say they could host a gathering there some time in July. I hope more cousins will chime in with their thoughts, and will post here whatever the consensus seems to be.
- 8 Jan. Several of us are wondering — are there any plans for a memorial service? And, how will Bill's remains be disposed of? (We recall that Aunt Jeannette was cremated and her ashes were sprinkled in the Pacific near Neskowin.)
- 6 Jan. Cousin Patty Giles Imler takes the prize for being the first to offer corrections. Thank you, Patty, for correcting the Capp girls' info in Bill's obit!
- 5 Jan 2016. After setting this project aside during the Christmas season, I'm resuming work on it today, and have revised his obituary, making what I hope are some very minor corrections. I will soon continue on to other articles.
- 8 Dec. Cousins Karen and Tony wrote a beautiful obituary which is now available at the Yamhill Valley News Register web site. Thank you cousins! We've added a copy of it to this Carey Family Album web site.
- 3 Dec. Here is a wonderful tribute which my brother John wrote after arriving in Oregon yesterday and learning the sad news. He asked me to share it with all of you. As we add more material to this site, we may move it to another page:
Was really looking forward to another visit with Bill here in Oregon, not meant to be.
He was always glad to have a visit from "his Family" and to hear about what's up with us-all.
This man surely put in 200 years of living into 100 years of life.
He was more than Uncle Bill he was Our Uncle Bill, We-all were his family, friends and Kids.
I can picture him writing a letter to each of us on an old typewriter and ending his story to us with:
NOW GO AND WRITE YOUR OWN STORY,
TAKE YOUR OWN PICTURES, AND SHARE WITH SOMEONE...
LOVE, YOUR UNCLE BILL
- 2 Dec. Started an index to Bill Walker articles. I hope there'll be more articles which cousins locate among their newspaper clippings and scrapbooks, and send to us.
- 1-2 Dec. Made a few minor changes to Aunt Jeannette's page, deleting probably-obsolete donation information. Added, to the end of Jeannette's page, a 2005 "letter to the editors" which Bill wrote. If you come across anything on Jeannette which you would like to contribute, please send it along!
This page was last updated 1 Apr 2016.