Cook Family Land Transactions
Some time in the 1820s, John and Sarah Cook and their family migrated from Kentucky to the beautiful green hills of southern Indiana, settling in Springville, Perry township, in the northwest corner of Lawrence County. They remained there for about 40 years, moving on to Edgar county, Illinois, in about 1863. While living in Lawrence county, their names appeared frequently in the public record as they bought and sold property.
The following is a list of land transactions by John, and other Cooks, in Lawrence county, Indiana (LCI), with names of Cook family members highlighted in green. It was compiled by Treva E. Peckham, the Lawrence County InGenWeb County Coordinator, from information in Lawrence County Abstract Records Perry Township Sections 1-25 1818 - 1929, compiled by Helen Burchard for LCH&GS. You may wish to contact Treva to inquire about transactions involving other Cook family members.
- February 1848. John B. Haywood to William & Jacob Cook, Inst W.D. Date 18 Feb 1848, Rec 6 Mar 1849 Bk N pg 160 Con $400. W ½ SE ¼ S20 T6N R2W Cont 80 acres Ack bef Dean Barnes J.P, LCI
- October 1849. Thomas Cobb & wife Judith to John Cook Sr. & Sons Inst: W.D. Date 3 Oct 1849 Rec 31 Dec 1850 Bk O pg 293 Con $150 The NE ¼ NE ¼ S20 T6N R2W Cont 40 acres Ack bef: James A. Zaring N.P. LCI
- Thomas Cobb & Judith Cobb his wife to John Cook Sr Inst: W.D. Date 3 Oct 1849 Rec 31 Dec 1850 Bk O pg 293 Con $150 The NE ¼ NE ¼ S23 T6N R2W Cont 40 acres Ack bef: Dean Barnes J.P. LCI
- February 1850. Jacob S. Cook, William S. Cook & wife Angeline to Orange Dye Inst W.D. Date 6 Feb 1850, Rec 11 Jan 1858 Bk S Pg 590 Con $450 The W ½ SE ¼ S20 T6N R2W Cont 80 acres. Ack bef: Dean Barnes J.P. LCI
- March 1851. Doctor Bridwell & Wife Lydia to Jacob S. Cook, John W. Cook & Joseph B. Cook Inst.: W. D., Dated 20 Mar 1851, Rec 31 Mar 1851, Bk O Pg 437 Con: $1500. The W ½ NE ¼ & the SE ¼ NE ¼ S23 T6N R2W Also 20 Acres in the SE ¼ S23. Cont. in all 220 acres. Ack bef: John Hancock J.P. LCI (Perry Township, Lawrence Co., IN)
- Doctor Bridwell & Wife Lydia to Jacob S. Cook, John W. Cook & Joseph B. Cook Inst.: W. D., Dated 20 Mar 1851, Rec 31 Mar 1851, Bk O Pg 437 Con: $1500 The W ½ NE ¼ & other lands. Cont. in all 220 acres. Ack bef: John Hancock J.P. LCI (Perry Township, Lawrence Co., IN)
- August 1854. Jacob Cook , Joseph Cook & John Cook Jun. & Melissa his wife to Noah Bridwell. Inst: W.D.., Dated 2 Aug 1854 , Rec: 12 Sep 1854 Bk R pg 188. Con $200. 20 acres in th SE ¼ S23 T6N R2W Ack bef Luman L Smith J.P. LCI.
- June 1856. Jacob L. Cook to John W Cook & Joseph B. Cook Inst: W.D. Date 3 June 1856 Rec 13 Sep 1856 Bk S pg 200 Con $1000 The undivided 1/3 W ¼ & the SE ¼ NE ¼ S23 T6N R2W and other lands. Ack bef: Alex H. Gainey, J.P. LCI
- Jacob L. Cook to John W Cook & Joseph B. Cook Inst: W.D. Date 3 June 1856 Rec 13 Sep 1856 Bk S pg 200 Con $1000 The undivided 1/3 W ½ NW ¼ S24 T6N R2W cont 76 acres and other land all in T6N R2w. Ack bef: Alex H. Gainey, J.P. LCI
- October 1856. Newton Short and his wife Sarah E. to John Cook Sr. Inst: W.D. Dated 29 OCt 1856 Rec 6 oct 1863 Bk W pg 205 Con $126 The undivided 1/9 part of the S ½ NW ¼ S23 T6N R2W Ack bef: Hawes R. Sulton N.P. City of Richmond, Va. 7 Nov 1856
- June 1858. Cook William S. & Angeline Cook to David Long Inst W.D. Dated _____, Rec 23 June 1858, Bk T pg 103 Con $600 The NE ¼ Se ¼ S17 T6N R2W cont 40 Acres Ack bef Juett L. Messick J.P. LCI
- August 1858. Joseph B. Cook to Jonathan B. Newbanks Inst: W.D. Date 20 Aug 1858 Rec 20 Sep 1863 Bk T pg 163 Con $1500 The undivided ½ W ½ NE ¼ SE ¼ S23 (S24) T6N R2W and other lands said undivided interest cont 120 acres Ack bef: John Hanson J.P. LCI
- September 1859. John Headrick & Mary Hedrick to John W Cook Inst W. D. Dated 5 Sept 1859, Rec 10 Sept 1862 Bk V pg 444 Con $1200 A part of the SE ¼ S23 T6N R2W Ack bef: Juett L. Messick J.P. LCI
- July 1863. John W. Cook Jr., Melissa Cook, John Cook Sr. & Mary Ann Cook, Jonathon Newkirk & Martha Newkirk to William L. Pearson1 Inst W.D. Dated July 1863, Rec 8 Sep 1863 Bk W pg 150 Con___ The NE ¼ S23 and the W ½ NW ¼ S24 all in T6N R2W. John W. Cook Jr Melissa R. Cook, John Cook & Mary A. B. Cook Ack bef William Voss, J.P. LCI 13 July 1863. John B. Newbank and wife Martha C.., Joseph B. Cook & wife Mary F. ack bef Tho C. W. Sale N. P. Edgar Co., Illinois July 03, 1863.
- September 1863. John W. Cook & wife Melissa R., William S Cook & wife Angeline to David Cobb Inst W.D. Dated 16 Sept 1863, Rec 22 Sep 1863 Bk W pg 192 Con $800 The SE ¼ S23 T6N R2W. Cont. 80 acres Ack bef William Voss, J.P. LCI
According to Treva, the property known as "the old Pearson farm" is now Olde Farm
, a recreation area for the Life Pentecostal Church in Springville.
This page was last updated 15 Feb 2007.